Jake is VERY ANXIOUS to move Dallin out of his crib and into a "big boy" bed. I am not. We picked out a bed that we would buy for Dallin when we were ready, and I thought we had agreed to wait until after the baby was born, and we'd settled into a routine with her. But earlier this week, Jake bought the bed for Dallin, and put it together! That night we had a big fight. In his defense, Jake thought I was hesitant to buy the bed because of the cost, not because I'm not ready to move Dallin out of his crib yet.
There are a number of reasons I wanted to leave Dallin in the crib for now. Our baby is due in less than 2 weeks, and I didn't want to transition Dallin to a new bed that close to adjusting him to a new sibling. I had planned on leaving the baby in a bassinet for a few months, until Dallin was more used to her and she and I were getting more scheduled sleep. Also, I NEED a nap every day now. And with Dallin in a crib, I can put him in his bed and not worry that he'll get hurt or make messes while I'm napping, even if occasionally he doesn't go right to sleep. He's a very good sleeper, and I don't want to mess with a good thing. And, I guess I'm a little nervous for the HUGE change this baby will bring, without changing Dallin's sleep as well.
What do YOU think? Is it too early to move Dallin to a bed? Or am I just worrying over nothing?
And he's off - Ugh
4 months ago





7 comments:
If you're too nervous, and leaving him in the crib would calm your nerves of adding a new baby, I think you should do whatever makes you feel more at ease. You are going to enter "survival mode" in 10 days (or less!), which means that you guys do whatever you have to do to be as happy as possible for a little while (even if it means throwing out some rules).
I don't like to give advice, because I know everybody's ideas and situations are different, but I feel very strongly about this. I actually use a new baby as an excuse not to worry about ANYTHING for at least a month (it was closer to two months with Paige). Dallin is going to need time to adjust (so will you and Jake). That means if the bathrooms don't get cleaned - no big deal! If you end up eating grilled cheese sandwiches for two weeks straight - no big deal! If Dallin watches too much TV, but you get to sit and cuddle with your brand new baby - no big deal! For us, trying not to be super strict on rules and schedules for a little while has worked wonders. My kids have all bounced back, when I felt ready (like I said, 1-2 months), and they did great getting back into the "normal," everyday schedule of life. And my kids have ALWAYS loved the new babies. Although they acted out in other ways, they never hurt the baby or asked to send it back.
For what it's worth, all my kids stayed in the crib as long as possible. When we made the transition to "Big Boy Bed," we made it sound as cool as possible. Our rule was, you can sleep in your Big Boy Bed as long as you stay in bed, but as soon as you get out, you need to get back in the crib. It seemed to work for us. Both Austin and Macy stay in their bed, and don't wander out every couple of minutes for drinks, bathroom, etc. We also have a very strict bedtime schedule which helps (I know you guys are good at this too). I didn't mean this part as advice, I just thought I would pass along what has worked for us.
Sorry to be so long-winded. It was so good to see you the other week. You look so great! If I didn't know you, I would guess that you are maybe 7 months pregnant. Good luck with everything. Let me know when the Relief Society is done bringing in dinner so I can bring something over and steal a quick love from little Abbie.
p.s. You're a great mom!
I believe in cribs just like you. Containment mainly. Paige should be in a big girl bed but she needs those naps and I need the breaks. Good luck--two weeks left! Wow!
I agree, keep them in the crib as long as possible. I was so anxious to get Reece (my first) out of the crib, I was excited about the big boy bed. He actually treated his new bed like the crib and wouldn't get out unless I came and got him.
Leave him in the crib as long as possible! You are so right about the transition. Let him get used to the baby before you let him know that the baby is taking "his" bed. Good luck!
Good luck with the baby/crib situation. I am awaiting the day that you put up a post about a new baby girl! :) Maybe today! haha... Happy Birthday!
Amber, why give him something to revert about? The transition will be hard for the both of you as it is - I love having Anthony in a big boy bed, but we waited until Katie was several seeks old.
I would totally leave him in the crib. Once their out, they are literally "out". All of a sudden they can escape! It's not cool.
Jake isn't the one at home wanting a nap after taking care of 2 babies. Take control baby!:)
Post a Comment