Friday, February 22, 2008

Tooth Trouble

Last weekend Jake's mouth started hurting him. This isn't rare, Jake often has pain in his mouth. He says he has genetically bad teeth, I say he drinks too much (Dr. Pepper) and has poor brushing and flossing habits. However, this pain was under a tooth that had already had a root canal- and that is rare. He was in so much pain that he left work early Thursday to see the dentist. The diagnosis- Jake has an infection IN THE BONE around the old roots of this tooth. He was referred to an endodontist. When Jake saw him this morning, he told him that Jake needs SURGERY to remove the infection. Since the tooth has already had a root canal and has a cap on top, they can't drill through the cap to get to the infection. They'll have to cut his gums, drill through his jaw, cut out the dead roots and possibly some of the bone to remove the infection. Ew, EW, EW!

Poor Jake! But maybe now he'll listen to me when I nicely encourage him to floss!

4 comments:

paige said...

I do have genetically bad teeth, so I can sympathize with Jake. :) I do, however, try to make up for it by brushing & flossing, plus drinking my DP through a straw...my dentist said it would help! I hope he feels better soon, mouth pain is the worst!

Jen-ben said...

Oh my gosh!! Poor baby! Hope he feels much better!

Emily said...

I am so sorry. I have actually had an infection in my tooth before. For years, I had this strange bubble on the roof of my mouth. It was usually full and hard, but every once in a while it would become squishy. I also had one tooth that was extremely sensitive. It was one of my front teeth, and sometimes I couldn't bite down on anything (even a banana) or it would hurt. It would change color sometimes, too (it would turn kind of gray). I asked the dentist every time, and he said that it was strange but the x-rays didn't show anything. When I changed dentists, my new dentist said it was an infection. He drilled a little hole in my tooth and it drained all this fluid. Pretty gross, but at least I didn't have to have surgery! Poor Jake!

dishes and laundry said...

Oh, wow...this is why we didn't see him at church! That sounds horrible and dangerous - I'm so glad he went to the dentist!!!

Good luck to Jake!