Cooking is love made visible.
I saw this quote on a vinyl lettering website, and it describes my family perfectly. I certainly feel like I'm showing my love for my family by slaving over meals that they love. Dallin is definitely feeling the love while eating his spaghetti:


When was the last time I enjoyed a meal so much that I dug in with both hands, not caring if food got all over my hands, my face, my clothes, and everywhere in between? The joys of childhood.
Jake's favorite form of cooking is baking- which he says I don't do enough of. I'm just not a big dessert person. Salty snacks, on the other hand, are my weakness. I do have one baking masterpiece: cinnamon rolls. Jake actually got the recipe for these and begged me to make them when we were first married.

Jake's favorite form of cooking is baking- which he says I don't do enough of. I'm just not a big dessert person. Salty snacks, on the other hand, are my weakness. I do have one baking masterpiece: cinnamon rolls. Jake actually got the recipe for these and begged me to make them when we were first married.

Sugary, buttery, fatty, and oh so delicious. Definitely lovable. Pure happiness in our house whenever I decide to devote 3+ hours to cooking and whip up a batch.
By popular demand, here's the recipe:
1/2 c 110 degree water
(1) .25 oz pkt active dry yeast
1 1/4 c + 1/2 tsp granulated sugar- divided
1/2 c warm milk
2 c melted margarine or butter- divided
1 tsp salt
1 egg- slightly beaten
4 c all- purpose flour
1 1/2 T ground cinnamon
3/4 c chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
Glaze Frosting:
1/3 c margarine- melted
2 c powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 T hot water
1. Dissolve yeast and 1/2 tsp sugar in warm water, set aside
2. In a large bowl, mix 1/3 c sugar, milk, 1/3 c margarine, salt and egg; stir and add to yeast mixture
3. Add half the flour and beat until smooth
4. Stir in enough of the remaining flour until dough is slightly stiff
5. Put dough on well- floured board and knead for 8 minutes
6. Place dough in a greased bowl, cover, and let rise in a warm place until double in size, 1- 1 1/2 hours
7. Punch dough down and let rest for 5 minutes
8. Roll dough out on floured surface into a 10" x 15" rectangle (approx)
9. Brush 1/4 c melted margarine over dough
10. Mix together 3/4 c sugar and cinnamon, sprinkle over top
11. Sprinkle with nuts, if desired
12. Roll up dough and pinch edge together to seal
13. Cut the roll into 12- 15 slices
14. Coat bottom of a 13 x 9 x 2 baking pan with 1/4 c melted margarine and sprinkle with 1/4 c sugar
15. Place cinnamon roll slices close together in pan- cover pan and allow to rise in warm place for 45 minutes
16. Bake in a 350 degree over for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown
17. Stir together 1/3 c melted margarine, powdered sugar, and vanilla
18. Stir in hot water, 1 T at a time, until glaze reaches desired spreading consistency
19. Spread icing over slightly cooled rolls
Enjoy your delicious treat and the extra love you get from your family!
By popular demand, here's the recipe:
1/2 c 110 degree water
(1) .25 oz pkt active dry yeast
1 1/4 c + 1/2 tsp granulated sugar- divided
1/2 c warm milk
2 c melted margarine or butter- divided
1 tsp salt
1 egg- slightly beaten
4 c all- purpose flour
1 1/2 T ground cinnamon
3/4 c chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
Glaze Frosting:
1/3 c margarine- melted
2 c powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 T hot water
1. Dissolve yeast and 1/2 tsp sugar in warm water, set aside
2. In a large bowl, mix 1/3 c sugar, milk, 1/3 c margarine, salt and egg; stir and add to yeast mixture
3. Add half the flour and beat until smooth
4. Stir in enough of the remaining flour until dough is slightly stiff
5. Put dough on well- floured board and knead for 8 minutes
6. Place dough in a greased bowl, cover, and let rise in a warm place until double in size, 1- 1 1/2 hours
7. Punch dough down and let rest for 5 minutes
8. Roll dough out on floured surface into a 10" x 15" rectangle (approx)
9. Brush 1/4 c melted margarine over dough
10. Mix together 3/4 c sugar and cinnamon, sprinkle over top
11. Sprinkle with nuts, if desired
12. Roll up dough and pinch edge together to seal
13. Cut the roll into 12- 15 slices
14. Coat bottom of a 13 x 9 x 2 baking pan with 1/4 c melted margarine and sprinkle with 1/4 c sugar
15. Place cinnamon roll slices close together in pan- cover pan and allow to rise in warm place for 45 minutes
16. Bake in a 350 degree over for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown
17. Stir together 1/3 c melted margarine, powdered sugar, and vanilla
18. Stir in hot water, 1 T at a time, until glaze reaches desired spreading consistency
19. Spread icing over slightly cooled rolls
Enjoy your delicious treat and the extra love you get from your family!





7 comments:
YUM! Looks good, I'm the same, I have a hard time baking, probably because it's hard enough to make sure my family gets all the meals made by me in a day.
Oooo, those look delicious! Post the recipe!!!!
I like cooking for my family too. Well, most of the time. That quote is perfect!
Those look so yummy... do post the recipe! I love to bake but have never ever tried cinnamon rolls. My family would be indebt to me forever if i made those!!!
I need to try one of those. They look so delicious. Homemade cinnamon rolls are definitely a labor of love.
yummmmm-O!
Hey aren't you due any day now???
Jen- Unfortunately, I'm not due till April 2!
Yummmmm. James always has me make the frosting for peanutbutter fingers. He bakes, I frost.
Post a Comment