Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Accident

We had an accident at our house a few weeks ago. Don't panic: no human was hurt. Instead, it was a close, personal friend of Jake's. Remember the computer I let him build as his Christmas present? I don't think I've ever done justice to how much time and love he's spent on that thing, both while building it and after it was finished. He loving pieced all the components together, selecting the perfect flat screen monitor, top-of-the line video card, super fast processor, mega ram, etc. You can tell I am NOT a tech person, because those adjectives don't describe the parts at all. Suffice it to say, he built himself his dream "gaming" computer. He tries to tell me it's great for other things too- like downloading my tv shows, and storing all of our pictures. But I know the truth.

Any way, a few weeks ago, Dallin was in the office with me while I was sending some emails AND talking on the phone- my first mistake. The second mistake was that I didn't notice that Jake had left a water bottle on his desk WITH THE LID OFF. Dallin helped himself to a drink, again without me noticing, then set the bottle back on Jake's desk. Unfortunately, the bottle was big and still pretty full and it tipped over as Dallin set it down. Of course, ALL of the water spilled straight onto Jake's computer. Not the keyboard and screen, but the actual brain of the computer, which has USB ports on the top, so the water ran straight through to the guts. (Again, not the technically correct names!) I panicked and grabbed the first thing I could to clean up the water- a sweatshirt next to the chair. I checked the screen and heaved a big sigh of relief- the computer was still on, and it hadn't sparked and started on fire like I had feared. My third mistake- I didn't immediately power down the computer. (Hmm, this is starting to sound more like my fault than Dallin's!)

When Jake got home from work, he immediately checked his computer and my worst fears were realized- he said it was "fried". It wouldn't turn on at all. I was sick to my stomach- all that time he spent, and worse still, all that MONEY was wasted! We'd had the computer for less than 3 months and it was ruined! We didn't have the money to rebuild it, but I didn't have the heart to tell Jake his dream life of video games on a "sweet machine" was over. And then Jake completely amazed me: he didn't freak out. He calmly gave me a kiss, told me it wasn't my fault, and went to play with Dallin as if nothing was wrong! I would have LOST IT if my favorite material possession had just been obliterated. I guess what Jake's been telling me our whole marriage really was true- he loves me more than video games.

The even happier ending- once Jake and one of his "nerd" computer friends spent the whole night testing each component of the computer, it turned out the only thing that was ruined was the video card. Even though that was the most expensive piece, it was still under warranty! So Jake is back to playing games every night on his "sweet machine". And I don't resent it at all.

6 comments:

dishes and laundry said...

As the wife of a fellow "gamer", I loved this story! I can't wait to show it to Troy.

I literally gasped when I read that the water poured right into the computer's guts. Blame should go to Jake, by the way, leaving his water out like that ;)

Jake's reaction was wonderful - good guy you have there. Glad things worked out and he's back to running quests.

Years ago, I saved my money and bought a table from Gardner Village for our front room. It was black and perfect and I loved it.

A week after I bought it, Aaron took Hot Wheel cars and ran them around and around in a giant oval - right on top. The wood was soft - I'm guessing pine, and the cars made very visible grooves on the table. Pretty much ruined.

I bought a wooden sign to hang on the wall in the room. It says "The Most Important Things in Life Aren't Things".

Still...LOL

paige said...

Phew! First of all I am glad the "close, personal friend" was not a person...haha. Second, I am glad to hear everything turned out okay. That seems to happen when you don't overreact, at least in my experience. I would like to imagine the same story in our house if something happened to the PS3, but I don't know! I hope I never have to find out. :)

Nora Mair said...

Miracle! "Sweet Machine" hehehe

Unknown said...

Wow, that really shows the true character of your husband! I'm glad it all worked out in the end.

Emily said...

I told this story to my husband who nearly cried (he seriously gasped as if someone had been tragically hurt). He also said that there is no way he could have been as patient as Jake. What a great guy!

Jen-ben said...

Oh my gosh! How sad! But it acutally ended well! Yay! Right after I got our new Mac Tanner took a ball point pen to the screen and dug in as hard as her could. Let's just say I'm looking at 5 different pen markings now. But at least the computer still works! Jasper loves games...but mostly just xbox sports games which i'm grateful for because at least those games have an end.
k, when are you due???