Friday, January 4, 2008

The Weighting Game

As of one week ago, I am officially in the third trimester of my pregnancy. It has started to hit me that I'm really going to have a baby. I feel her move all the time, and she's getting very strong. People are starting to give me gifts for the baby and hand-me-down clothes. The holidays are over, so I can't put off baby projects any more, like painting the nursery and picking curtains. I'm starting to get excited about when I'll be able to hold my sweet baby girl! And, I'm starting to worry about how much weight I've gained, and how much more I'm going to gain. When I was pregnant with Dallin, I read millions of pregnancy books, and they all recommended gaining 25-35 pounds. I (stupidly) set a goal for myself that I was only going to gain the minimum 25 pounds! It was a very depressing day at 7 months pregnant when I passed that weight! I will say, I gained less than 35 pounds, and Dallin was a big baby- almost 9 lbs. And I lost all of the weight, plus 5 pounds, by the time Dallin was 7 months old. There was one doctors visit, towards the end of my pregnancy with Dallin, that I didn't gain any weight. The baby grew, my stomach grew, but I didn't gain any weight. It was the single most wonderful moment of my life! So why am I so worried about gaining weight again? There must just be something about being weighed on a regular basis, in front of the tiny, never-had-kids nurses at my doctor's office, and seeing my weight increase on a regular basis. It's just depressing! It doesn't help that my stomach is measuring big for how far along I am. And WHY does my butt have to get bigger? There's no baby in there!!! My growing size has even made an impression on Dallin- the other night during prayers, he said "please bless mommy's big tummy!" I may be about to experience "the miracle of life" again, but it sure hasn't done my body good!

8 comments:

Emily said...

I think you look fabulous! I say - embrace it! It's the only time in your life that you have a prodruding part of your body that you fit with tight clothing to emphasize how great it is that there is a baby in there. Trust me - my main focus in shopping for clothes these days revolves around how to draw attention away from all the protuding parts of my body. Congratulations, and good luck getting the nursery finished!

Jen-ben said...

You do look fabulous!! You are so cute prego!! And don't worry you'll drop the weight so fast! Even if you don't lose any you'll still look great! I gained 50 lbs with Tae. Can you say Heffer??
ps are you soooo excited for LOST!!!!

Nora Mair said...

My doc always says you have the rest of your life to loose weight. After all my babies I swear I'm never going to gain as much as the last but when I'm in the moment...."Oh I'll just lose it after..MEAL TICKET"!

Krystal said...

It was seriously the best to just eat whatever I wanted while pregnant and just think, I'm pregnant, who cares. I keep thinking I should try to watch my eating now, but I love my fat little baby who sleeps well so I'm just going to enjoy my curves. Plus, I've even lost weight with the nursing--you gotta love that!

Unknown said...

Ha, I laughed so hard...'why is my butt getting bigger, there is no baby in there' So true!!! I remember thinking the same thing.

Amber said...

Aaahh, you guys are so nice! I really should live it up and enjoy this time more- it's the only time in my life when I'll gain weight and people will still tell me how cute I look!

And Jen- I'm so excited for Lost I can't sleep at night! :)

Janille said...

I have out on 38 with this one and I only put on 32 with Kellon and I have 2 weeks to gain more! I was happy at my appoint. after we got home from Utah I only gained a pound a week! That is crappy for you that you are measuring ahead because you want to go late!!! Good luck with the nursery decorating... You look awesome still!!!

Brandi said...

I think you are the HOTTEST pregnant woman I've ever seen. Seriously, I gained 50 with Hayden and 60 with Maya! Needless to say, baby number 3 will have to wait.

I love the nesting period where you're getting ready for her arrival! I would LOVE to help decorate if you'd like some help. Can't wait to meet little Abigail!