
Ok, all you moms out there- I need some opinions. How much is too much tv for my 2 year-old to be watching? I've read "expert" parenting advice that says children this age should be limited to about 30 minutes a day. I'll be honest, Dallin watches more than that! He is very smart for his age, and doesn't seem deficient in any way. Maybe I'm just looking for excuses to justify watching a little bit more tv lately- beyond the excuses that I'm pregnant, and it's SO COLD outside! I'm looking for responses here. . .
And he's off - Ugh
4 months ago





11 comments:
I think if its a little educational, I feel like it is ok. I do not limit my kids, or have I ever... Ok.. there have been a few days where enough is enough.. i am talking hours on end.. but i don't think you should worry about a 2 year old. His attention span will deter him when he has had enough.. At least he will watch TV.. i only wish my "almost" two year old would.
I think if its a little educational, I feel like it is ok. I do not limit my kids, or have I ever... Ok.. there have been a few days where enough is enough.. i am talking hours on end.. but i don't think you should worry about a 2 year old. His attention span will deter him when he has had enough.. At least he will watch TV.. i only wish my "almost" two year old would.
As long as he still lets you hold the remote, I say let him watch.
I never really limited my kid's time with the tv - and they don't go over board. The computer, of course, is another matter. I'm always asking them to come watch tv with me.
Don't stress, I think the comment about his attention span is a good guage. Seth gets tired of TV but Jonah could watch for hours, but all I have to do is turn it off and he plays fine. When you need a break or just need something to help pass the time on cold days TV is great. Plus I love to snuggle on the couch while my kids watch and sleep a little.
I was JUST talking to my mom about this a few hours ago! Polly watches TV when I am in the shower in the morning & then one after her nap while I am doing dinner or whatever waiting for Lorin to get home. That's usually a MINIMUM. If I am tired or not to mention that it's cold outside & having no energy to do other things, I will watch a movie with her & occasionally doze off...as was mentioned before. She might also watch one before bed if Lorin & I just want some "adult time." Our problem is getting her to go to bed on time, which you are good at. She would stay up until 11:00 every night if we let her! We are getting better though, she needs to get used to it. If she gets bored she will go to her room & get books or other toys, so that makes me feel good. Once the baby comes & it is warm, there will be more options for entertainment. :)
Hey Amber - found your blog from Dishes and Laundry. We let Anthony watch more than 1/2 hour of TV. As far as I'm concerned as long as it's something where's learning he's ok. He never sits and watches for more than 10 minutes at a time before he's off and playing again. He just likes to have the option of stopping to watch.
I think those that were limited with TV as a child have issues....Another sibling will help in entertainment...and really when your 6+ monthes pregnant you're not really accountable for any sanitiy saving activities you let your current children participate in.
I seriously wouldn't stress about it.When he was Dallin's age, I let Hayden watch TV whenever he wanted to or when I needed to get something done. Now, he needs to earn time if he wants to watch more than 1 or 2 shows.
When Dallin was at my house, I turned on Thomas and he hardly watched. He was playing with the trains and dancing around. He's really a busy boy, and I think TV is just down time for him.
It is sad to say that Hayden has learned a bulk of the material he knows from TV. Alphabet, counting, letter sounds, etc. But that's okay with me. At least he's learning. He also runs around the house in a circle at full speed when he's watching Scooby Doo. He has to run from the monsters just like Shaggy and Scooby. Exercise AND learning!
you're like 9 months prego girlfriend! Give yourself a break. let him watch tv all day with a big chocolate cake in front of him. Ok, so that's what I want to do....
Ok, I feel way less guilty now! Dallin watches about 1-2 hours a day, broken up. He watches while I do the necessities like shower and make dinner, and sometimes he requests to watch a show instead of playing. My tv was really limited when I was growing up, and look how I turned out- I wouldn't do that to anyone! :) Actually, I'm really glad that he'll watch tv- it certainly is sanity saving!
My mom used to put a lock on the plug so we couldn't plug the TV in. That's a little crazy! I think it's all balance. Some days, my kids watch more TV and movies, other days, my kids don't watch any TV. Take it as you go - you're doing great! And honestly...all bets are off when you're pregnant!
Post a Comment