Monday, June 30, 2008

Triathlon

My friend Marisa was "all a buzz" as Nora put it, talking about doing a triathlon. Well, it turns out she was not only enthusiastic, but persuasive as well- and I signed up!!! I was very hesitant at first, since Abbie was only like 6 weeks old when Marisa starting talking about it. I had all these excuses- I just had a baby, I don't have enough time to train, I don't want to lose my milk, etc. Well, Marisa was also persistent. She showed me the training schedule, and I thought, I can totally do this! Then Nora signed up, and my resistance was over. I couldn't handle both of them putting the pressure on me!!

We're doing the Jordanelle Triathlon on August 23. We're doing the "sprint" which is:

  • .75 k swim
  • 13 mile bike
  • 5 k run
I am very excited about doing it! It's gotten me working out consistently again, and training towards an event is really motivating. I'm also so happy to be doing something completely for ME. My whole marriage I've supported Jake and watched him while he plays in volleyball and golf tournaments. Don't get me wrong- I love watching him play and I know how happy it makes him. But now he'll be supporting me and cheering me on! I'm really not doing this to lose weight, but I think that will be a natural consequence. I'm actually eating more now than before I starting training, to make sure I still have enough calories to feed my baby!

Now I just need to buy a bike. . . .

9 comments:

Unknown said...

It's going to be so great!!!

Jan said...

I really admire you! I have really started hitting it hard with working out... and all of lifes issues that come with it! I have always wanted to be into working out.. I went and did a mile and a half walk/run! I just about died... so hopefully I can build up!
You will do awesome!

Nora Mair said...

Fun Fun Fun! I'm totally inspired just because Abbie is so young still. Stuart was my excuse at first too but he's almost one.

Jen-ben said...

Your awesome!!!

Colette said...

How fun and good luck! Your brave.

Liz said...

Good for you, that's awesome! I don't know what kind of bike you need, but you can always borrow mine. :-)

Krystal said...

Good luck, I'm a little jealous that you'll be doing a triatlon before I do, but what can I do?

dishes and laundry said...

This is so cool that you're all doing this! I'd let you borrow my bike but the frame is an extra small - perfect for shorties like me, but probably not for you, LOL. Good luck!

Valerie said...

Wow, I'm so impressed! Good luck!!! I told Cannon you were doing this, and he says the water is too cold! Maybe he'll do the Ogden Valley one instead.