Thursday, June 12, 2008

Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Week

If you're wondering why I haven't posted in a week, this post will explain it. Last week, Jake went out of town for work for the very first time since we've been married. I should mention, he got promoted! The promotion happened the week after Abigail was born, so the news kind of got lost in the excitement of the new baby. Anyway, as part of his new responsibilities, Jake is going to China this month! So he had to go to Chicago, Discover's headquarters, for four days of meetings and to test the program they will be installing in China. Back to the story: The day Jake left, Abigail had her 2 month check-up. In case you're wondering, yes, she's huge: 95th percentile for height, and 98th for weight!!! She got 5 shots, and we also found out she had an ear infection. So I had one very unhappy baby on my hands, with no husband to help out. Abbie slept ALOT the day she got her shots and didn't eat very much, so little that I got VERY engorged that night (sorry, for being graphic). I was in so much pain I couldn't sleep, and so full that Abbie couldn't eat, making her more unhappy and me more sore! The next day, Dallin didn't take his nap, which means he is IMpossible to deal with come dinner time, especially so because I was too tired to be patient. From that day on, Abbie was getting worse, not better. She was really fussy, which is rare for her, and had no appetite, also rare. Finally on Sunday, when she should have been over the fussiness from the shots and her antibiotics should have been working, we were convinced that something was really wrong. I took her back to the doctor the next morning, and she had lost 1/2 a pound in 5 days! NOT good for a 2 month old! The doctor did a full check, and couldn't figure out what was wrong with her- her ear was better, heart and lungs were fine, etc. So he had to do a urine test, with a catheter! It was not fun to hold Abbie down while she screamed through it! That test was normal, so the doctor told me she needed to go to the hospital for blood tests. I have never been more worried in my life! I was crying, convinced that she had some incurable disease that would plague her the rest of her life! And drawing her blood was horrible!! There is nothing worse than holding your baby down while she's tortured! She kept looking at me with sad, sad eyes, pleading me to make it stop! I felt terrible! But luckily, she doesn't have a disease, just a viral infection as well. What kind of mother am I? My poor little baby had a bacterial and a viral infection at the same time! And the worst part is, there's nothing she can take for the virus, we just have to let it run it's course. She's finally starting to eat better, so I think she's feeling a little bit better. And one positive in all this- I will be one buff lady from holding her ALL THE TIME!Obviously from a happier day!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry about the rough week! Come over and sit on my driveway and we can watch the kids play while we relax.

Amber said...

Sounds good!

Rose said...

How sad! You aren't a terrible mother by a long shot! When I was a baby I have a viral infection, but my Mom was convinced that I was dying. They took me to the hospital, had all these tests done, just to find out it was only viral! My poor mother still blames herself to this day!

Brandi said...

It's nice to know that I'm not alone in my bad weeks; and it's probably nice for you to know that you're not alone! Starting at 2 months, baby number two got a little rough for me, but that's when you just work through it because you love them. Any time you need a break--I'm always up for it!!

Nora Mair said...

Loved swimming with you! I'm sorry the gals been so sick. Go sit on Marisa's driveway and you can be the car yeller.

dishes and laundry said...

Poor Abbie! Poor You!!!! It's so hard to watch them be sick and so scary to not know what's wrong! Hope things get better very soon

Emily said...

I am so sorry! It sounds like it truly was a horrible week! I had to hold Macy down for them to insert a cathedar before. I was crying harder than she was. How awful! I'm glad she's starting to do a little better.

Jesse and Emily said...

Sounds like you need a vacation! Speaking of...we should talk about this vacation our hubsbands are planning! have you heard?! :) email me: ebroadbent712@hotmail.com

val said...

Sorry about your bad week. Ugh, I hate it when that happens :). Chin up....things will get better.

Liz said...

Oh you poor thing, I'm glad she is doing better. You're not a bad mom unless I'm the worlds worse because last week Steven had an ear infection and croup. Thankfully he's all better and wasn't very fussy. See you tomorrow!

Valerie said...

I had that same week when my twins were five months old and Cannon went out to sea for the first time!! We also ended up with an ambulance ride and leaving one twin with relative strangers (we had just moved and weren't in our new house yet) - all for a virus. Ugh. Put your feet up, get a good chick flick, and eat chocolate covered cherries or something. It's mom's turn!!!

Jen-ben said...

That sucks! It's hard being a mom! IT's strange because it's really hard, or it's really easy. All in one day. Hang in there, it'll get better! You're amazing!