Saturday, May 30, 2009

Saturday Treasures

I'm not much of a shopper. I don't like browsing, standing in lines, or spending money. I don't think I would even grocery shop except that it's absolutely necessary. So I don't EVER go to yard sales. But last week, Abbie and I happened to be out walking fairly early Saturday morning (yard sale time) and something at a yard sale caught my eye: a kiddie kitchen. It was in really good shape, so I slowed down to look at it, but didn't completely stop. I didn't want to be caught by aggressive yard- sellers. But slowing down made me notice how nice it was. So I shouted out, "how much is the kitchen" knowing it would be too expensive to tempt me when we didn't need one (yet). A girl responded, "I have to ask my mom," then spoke in rapid Spanish to her mother, who didn't speak English. The price? $3! Three dollars!!! Needless to say, I bought it, and the kids have been playing house ever since, and we don't even have dishes for it yet!

Then today, Jake went to help a friend move, and was rewarded for his labors with this:
For my favorite price: FREE! I never thought we'd own an electric kid mobile because they're so expensive, but I'm not one to say no to hand-me-downs. The kids played with the jeep for most of the day, even though the batteries were dead and only lasted about 10 minutes. I wonder what next Saturday will bring?

3 comments:

Emily said...

Awesome! I, too, despise shopping. I would never go out on the day after Thanksgiving. Insane crowds are not worth any amount of savings in my book. But, you got an amazing deal. Good for you. We had a friend give us their old electric car for our kids as well (I would never buy one that was new). My kids have LOVED it! What a productive Saturday!!!

Paige said...

What a great Saturday! So many of our neighborhood kids have "power wheels," & just like you guys, the only way Polly will ever have one is if it's a hand me down for free :) She actually has the same kitchen that you guy, but I'm sure it was more than $3 - at least my mom bought it :) I, however LOVE garage sales & shopping. I always have to limit myself on what I buy because I know I could waste so much money on other peoples old trash & then end up regretting it...but I have found some good stuff, too.

Liz said...

WTH?! I am so jealous. Three dollars for that! What a steal. (seriously, did you just steal it and you're trying to cover your tracks?) ;-) And the big wheel is great. I wanted to buy Sarah one, but they are so costly. You are a lucky lady.