Sunday, May 24, 2009

The positive

Lately I've found that I have so much time on my hands that I can keep up with friend's and family's blogs, as well as blogs of strangers that I find entertaining. (Actually, I don't think it's that I have more time just that I'm spending (wasting) more time on the computer.) Two new favorite blogs are CJane Enjoy It and The Meanest Mom, always good for an inspirational thought or a laugh. Through CJane's blog I've found the blog of her sister, Stephanie or NieNie. I heard about Stephanie, her blog and her plane crash last year, along with everyone else in Utah, but it was too sad for me to read at the time. Lately, though, I've found I can't help stopping in now and then to read her blog. I'm amazed at how positive she is after going through such a major ordeal, and through her on-going surgeries and constant struggles adjusting to her new life.

I wonder- would I be able to be that positive faced with life-changing injuries? Am I that positive now? For a while I've had a love/ hate relationship with this time in my life and this time in my children's lives. Raising young children is just so demanding, and I find myself thinking how much easier my life will be when Dallin goes to school, or Abbie is pottey trained, etc, or they just plain need me less. How bad does that sound?! I need to focus on the positive now. I want to relish this time in my children's lives, because I know that even if a tradegy doesn't change it all in the blink of an eye, eventually my kids WILL grow up and need me less, and I'll miss the time when I was the center of their lives. With the constant changes in ability, attitude, and demands my kids go through almost daily, sometimes relishing is easier said than done. My favorite time to relish how adorable and fun my children are is when they're asleep for the night :)

So in the interest of remembering the positive (and because I use this blog as a journal), here are some things in my life I will remember with a smile:
Abbie loves to put on other people's shoes and walk around the house in them. Her favorite shoes to wear are Dallin's crocs, because she can put them on by herself and they stay on while she walks. She also loves to carry around purses, or put things over her arm and pretend they're a purse. I love having a girly-girl!
When Dallin watches TV, he doesn't sit on the couch or on a chair. Instead, he sits in the little hole where the arms of the two couches meet. Totally weird, and I can't figure out why, but funny!
I'm training for another triathlon! I love being able to exercise outside in the SUN again! I know some day I won't have the ability or the desire to run, bike and swim, so I'm enjoying working towards a goal now.
Jake still has a job! Earlier this month, Discover had major lay-offs for the first time in it's history, and people from Jake's team got laid off. We're grateful Jake isn't job-hunting, and I love his schedule- he's home every night for dinner and to help put the kids to bed. I'm grateful for a good life!

2 comments:

dishes and laundry said...

Oh we need to talk! CJane is my first click on the blogroll every morning, followed by Nienie, Pioneer Woman, Light Refreshments Served, and so forth. I only read CJane sporadically until the plane crash and then I was hooked.

It was terrible and horrible, yet I couldn't stop, even reading blogs from Christian's side of the family. I was riveted, yet I also felt like I was falling into some depression over the tragedy of the situation. It was a serious and gloomy part of my life, but I had to hang on to find out if it all turned out okay. Some days I still wonder. Oh...we should talk!

And the other...my kids are right where you are talking about - they don't need me that much anymore. And while that is fantastic in so many ways, it's hard, too. It happened so suddenly, much younger than I thought, and yet there's still so much I need to/should have taught them.

I'm always apologizing to Cam for getting after him about things, but my time of having any influence over him is almost gone, and he's hardly ever home, so when he is...I tend to try to drum things into him. He's very forgiving and he has a great sense of humor, and still crawls in bed with me, so who knows?

Loved your list of positives!

Emily said...

I am also addicted to CJane and Nie and Meanest Mom. I have found so much inspiration in Nie's story, and I just love the way that CJane writes. They are my favorite!