Today I had the opportunity to volunteer at the Oquirrh Mountain Temple open house. It was an amazing experience, but it started out a little rocky. Jake and I had both signed up to be ushers, but Dallin had different plans for us. Last night, he started coughing like a madman, and it just kept getting worse. A call to the dr this morning resulted in an appointment for Dallin later in the day, as the nurse suspected he had croup. We quickly canceled babysitting arrangements for the kids, and rock-paper-scissored for who got to go to the temple and who had to take D to the dr. Actually, Jake volunteered to stay home with the sickie and let me go to the temple. What a great hubby!
Ushers were assigned all over the temple and grounds to direct the tour, and I got lucky with a prime spot- in front of the grand staircase, under the beautiful crystal chandelier. I was even allowed to speak to direct guests to either the stairs or the elevator! It was such a neat experience to stand there in the temple and feel the work of the Lord going forward. Hundreds of people came through during my shift, and ALL of them were with family or loved ones. It seemed a fitting tribute to a religion and a building dedicated to families. I loved seeing all of the little children come through, and I was touched that so many parents felt the importance of sharing the temple with their kids. I can't wait to take my own kids on the tour. If you live close, get tickets to go on a tour! It's definitely worth your family's time!
* And I forgot to mention I saw Elder Holland! He came through with a group of Rabbi's, and their special tour lead them past me about 4 times!
And he's off - Ugh
4 months ago





3 comments:
That's a really awesome experience! And a really awesome husband to stay home with the sick kid! Way to go Jake!
I'm excited for you to have had that experience...and excited for mine! Carlo and I will volunteer in the Celestial room! I'm nervous and excited. I hope no one else gets sick!
It's too bad Jake couldn't go with you, but we're so lucky to be a part of this. If your ward is like mine there are probably still a lot of assignments to fill. I can babysit for you if you need me to. (Once your kids are well of course :-)
Post a Comment