Saturday, November 29, 2008

Weekends and Holidays


Why is it that whenever my kids get sick, it's always either a weekend or a holiday?!?!?! I can't even count the times Dallin has gotten sick on a Friday night, or Christmas, or Christmas eve, and I stress over whether or not he's sick enough to take to Instacare, or if he can wait until Monday to see his doctor. And now Abbie's doing it, too! She got a runny nose and was really fussy on Thanksgiving, but didn't have any other symptoms. I always overreact about illnesses, so this time I convinced myself it was just a cold, the doctor wouldn't do anything else, and we'd just have to wait it out. Then Friday night she woke up with a high fever and was really miserable. We had no choice but to take her to instacare Saturday morning. Jake volunteered to take her. Of course, he rushed out the door before restocking the diaper bag, and didn't have a diaper for her when she pooped while they were waiting! I can't believe I'm saying this, but luckily Dallin is STILL NOT potty trained, and one of his diapers was in the bag! After about 2 hours of waiting and 2 minutes with a doctor, Jake found out Abbie has double ear infections, and almost has croup!! Poor girl! And she HATES her medicine- while I was giving it to her tonight, she was fighting me and crying so hard that she chocked and threw up all over me and herself! Needless to say, we haven't had a very relaxing Holiday weekend.

Dallin has so far avoided this sickness. But since Abbie's been too sick to go anywhere, he's been bouncing off the walls because we haven't been out of the house! So while Jake took Abbie to the doctor, Dallin and I went swimming- a favorite activity for both of us. He's a total daredevil in the pool- going down the slide by himself, going through the waterfalls, and jumping in without me catching him. And an added bonus- he always takes a good nap after swimming! Then tonight we took him on a "date" with us. We went out to dinner, and the whole way he kept asking, "what's a date?" "where did a date come from?" And during dinner he kept saying, "thanks for taking me on a date!" I guess he just needed a little attention!

4 comments:

Allyson said...

I'm so sorry about your bummer of a weekend! We always seemed to have someone sick on holidays as well! A few years ago, Malia started throwing up all over the place on Christmas eve., just before the family was to arrive! I think we called the doctor and he called in a prescription for suppositories or something like that. We kept her in her room and took turns sitting with her. Fun, fun, fun! They do seem to grow out of the "sick all the time in the winter" stage...thank goodness! I hope everyone is doing well now. Also, what a cutie, that little Dallin! I love all the "date" comments and questions!

Emily said...

You are such great parents. I always seem to get it wrong with sickness as well. When I am convinced that there is an infection or something, I take them to the doctor and it is inevitably a virus and they can "do nothing." Then, when I am positive that it is just a virus, it turns out to be something much more serious. I don't know! I wonder if I'll ever figure it out. Here's to hoping that Thanksgiving was the worst of it and Christmas will be much better.

Mama P said...

You are now listed on my blog

Liz said...

Poor babies! I feel so bad for Abbie, hopefully she is feeling better. :-)

Sarah's new "date night" with us is requesting to sleep in our bed since she's a mom (of her roo) and since he sleeps in her bed, she has to sleep in mine. I don't buy it though. :-)