Friday, March 13, 2009

Dallin's Seizure- Otherwise Known as "The Scariest Day of My Life"

On Tuesday, Dallin had a slight fever and was acting a little sick. I dutifully kept him away from other kids and we went out to lunch with Jake. Then the kids (and I) took naps in the afternoon. Dallin woke up from his nap to go to the bathroom, then practically begged to go back to sleep, which is unusual, but I didn't complain. Two hours later, I had to wake him up. He was flushed and his skin was burning to the touch. I took his temp, which was 102.5, and called the dr. It was too late for him to be seen that night, so I made an appointment for the next morning. The nurse recommended alternating tylenol and motrin to keep his fever down, and said I could take him to instacare if it got much higher. She wasn't concerned, so I wasn't. I got Dallin a drink, turned on a show for him to watch, and took Abbie upstairs to feed her.

Just a few minutes later, I was headed downstairs to get some soup out of the storage room to start cooking dinner. I found Dallin slumped over on the couch, rigid and shaking, and his lips were turning blue! I'd like to say I was cool-headed and calmly handled the situation. But I wasn't. I totally FREAKed out! I grabbed Dallin off the couch and laid him on the floor, and called 911 sobbing so hard the man kept asking me to repeat myself! Dallin stopped shaking within a few minutes and his color returned to normal. But I didn't. I was still very upset and crying. We went upstairs to get Abbie out of her high chair and wait for the emt's. Dallin wasn't seizing any more, but now he was very limp, not responding to me, and kept moaning. Luckily, the paramedics were very fast. Within a few minutes my living room was filled with about 6-7 emt's and firemen. They confirmed that Dallin had had a seizure and needed to go to the hospital to be checked out. They then asked if I wanted to drive him or have him taken in an ambulance. As if I could think clearly enough to make that decision! The fireman finally said that I was clearly distraught and they would feel better if I would let them take us to the hospital. After assuring me that Jordan Valley would take my insurance if we arrived in an ambulance (don't ask me why I was thinking about money and insurance during this crisis) I agreed to go.

But what was I going to do with Abbie? Jake still wasn't home from work yet, and didn't even know that Dallin had had a seizure. I tried calling 3 neighbors and none of them answered! As if I wasn't stressed enough! Luckily, neighbors were starting to call and come over to see why there were 3 fire trucks and an ambulance in front of our house. The first people who called agreed to take Abbie, and I sent her off without a kiss or even a coat!

I texted Jake to meet us at the hospital, and he arrived there before Dallin and I did. Dallin was finally sitting up on his own and answering our questions, and I was finally starting to calm down. Jake gave Dallin a blessing right away. After seeing the doctor and having x-rays and tests to rule out pnuemonia, diabetes, hyperglycemia and low sodium, we learned Dallin had what's called a febrile seizure. It's caused by a spike in fever, and is fairly common in toddlers. To our relief, they don't cause permanent damage and don't recur very often. Two and a half hours later, we were on our way home with our three year old back to his chatty self.

We kept our appointment with the pediatrician the next day. Turns out Dallin has an ear infection, which is what caused the fever. He's on antibotics, and except for some lingering irritability, getting better!

I am so grateful that Dallins seizure wasn't more serious. It certainly made me appreciate how good both my kids' health usually is. Many, many THANKS to everyone for calling over the last few days, offering to help, buying us lunch the next day, and in general being concerned about us! We felt so loved! And thanks to everyone telling me I'm still a good mom!

11 comments:

Krystal said...

What a scary day! It's even more crazy to read all the details. I'm glad you guys are all recovering!

Jesse and Emily said...

Oh my! You poor thing! And poor Dallin! Thank goodness for the Priesthood, and for EMTs and doctors! You are amazing, I'm so glad everything is ok now! Keep your head up! -Em

Emily said...

Tanner was at our house when he had his seizure, and we all panicked! It is a very terrifying thing to watch. I'm so happy that he is okay.

Anonymous said...

Eeek! Amber, I'm SO sorry that this happened. I'm glad everything worked out and that Dallin is okay. But still, how scary!

Liz said...

Oh my goodness! I'm having de ja vu! Do you remember that Sarah had one last year? It was terrifying. It happened in june and I called it "The scariest moment of my life." We had the emt's take her in the ambulance as well just to be safe, and I also thought about insurance.

I'm so glad he is doing better. Sarah's was only caused my the fever and nothing else, but we found out Mike had one when he was little and it is more common if there is family history. I learned that I had to be more aggressive in fighting my kids fevers. In general we're supposed to let them run their course, but when there is a history we have to fight them.

I know this is scary, and I'm glad you are all doing better. I've been out of the loop, so I'm sorry I didn't read this earlier.

Jackie said...

Wow! I can imagine how scary that would be. I would've panicked as well. I'm glad that he's okay and that you had help there fast.

Nora Mair said...

There is nothing more scary than when your kid's life is threatened. Glad the kids okay.

val said...

oh my gosh. how scary amber. i'm so glad things are ok. what a nightmare.
enough of all the junk going around that gives our kids ear infections, colds, coughs and everything else. bring on summer!
hope you are all able to rest up a bit. you deserve a night out!

Nicol said...

Wow. I had no idea. I think I would freak out too! I am so glad everything is okay!

dishes and laundry said...

Oh, Amber...I'm so late reading this, and now I'm wiping tears - I can't even imagine how scary that would have been. I think I would have freaked too and I would have asked about the insurance.
So so so glad he's okay!

stressedkris said...

Amber- I am sorry that I am reading this so late. I completely understand. Kimmie's first seizure and many if not all of the ones after it have scared me. I am glad things ended up so well. Part of the reason why we picked that house was how close to the EMT's it was (sad I know). Let me know if you ever need anything or have any other problems. I know how seizures are. Love, Kris