Jake got home from China on Sunday. He was gone for 13 days!!! It was harder than I imagined it would be. People kept saying to me, "you never realize how much your husband does until they're gone, huh?" I had the opposite problem, I Knew how much Jake does for me; that's why I was dreading him being gone! Maybe I'm just a sissy, but taking care of two young kids by myself was REALLY CHALLENGING! Not that I didn't have any help- my sister stayed with me one night, my mom took Dallin to her house for a night, and Jake's mom and sister helped out a couple times with dinner and putting the kids to bed. Our home teacher even came over and mowed our lawn! But other than that, EVERYTHING was my responsibility- every meal, every chore, diaper change, bath, and discipline for Dallin (that was the hardest part, since it seemed as soon as Jake left, Dallin was the worst version of himself possible!) I could never be a single mother. But now it feels like a bad dream or a nightmare, not the reality that I lived through. Next time, I'm the one taking a 2 week vacation!
Technically, it wasn't a vacation for Jake. Alot of days he worked 10-12 hours! But he did have time to do some sight-seeing and shopping! Jake served his mission in Taiwan, so he speaks Chinese and LOVES the food. He said everyone was totally shocked when he would start speaking to them in Chinese! It helped him get some great deals on the stuff he bought, because all the people at the shops he went to fell in love with him. One lady even wanted Jake to marry her daughter! Even after he told her he was already married and had two kids, she still kept telling him how great her daughter was! She told him how pretty she was, that she spoke English; etc. Luckily, Jake resisted the marriage proposal.
At the "U Garden"- traditional architecture and lots of shops.
Jake assured me that he saw lots of Chinese kids climbing on this turtle, so it wasn't offensive. I'm sure they weren't doing that pose!










4 comments:
Glad he's home, safe and sound. Being the "single mom" is very hard - especially when your kids are so young. Welcome back, Jake!
You should have gone with him!!! What a cool place.
Hey, that looks fun! But not for you. Glad that you survived. And the kids, of course. What returned missionary can resist a trip back to the old stomping grounds?
ok...so I just read your comment on my last post! he he...nope we're true blue sisters! I swear my brother's and I look more alike! And if you get us all together you can see some family resemblance!
Post a Comment