Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Count your blessings. . .

I'm so glad I wrote the Terrible Two's post. At first I felt a little bit guilty, not only about complaining, but writing how much my sweet son aggravates me. But I feel somewhat liberated at admitting publicly (very publicly- who knows who else reads this blog?) that my life isn't perfect and I have a difficult though cute son. Thank you, thank you, thank you for all of the wonderful advise! I feel so much better having written that post and reading about all of your experiences. It's great to hear from people that I admire, partly because they're still alive with such difficult children!

I've already started applying some of your advice and trying new tactics in dealing with Dallin. The other day, he refused to put a shirt on. He had pants, but didn't want the shirt. We weren't leaving the house that morning, so I decided it wasn't worth the fight. He spent the whole day shirtless! We made Christmas cookies that day with some of Dallin's cousins. Look how happy he was!
I have also been praying alot lately for patience and help in dealing with Dallin. The other night after posting about Dallin's terrible two's, I prayed right here at my computer. Immediately, before I was even done praying, the thought came to me that I should focus on the positive. And so I will!
Dallin has an amazing capacity for knowledge. He is the smartest little boy I know. Yesterday, we asked him what his name was. And he replied, "Dallin Jacob S----" (Name withheld to protect the innocent!) We've never even consciously taught him his full name! He also has a great enthusiasm for life and new experiences. This was the first snowman he's ever built. He loved knocking it over even more than building it!
And of course, tasting the snow is always a must!
Sure, Dallin has some very difficult moments, but in the end, he's still great!

And I can't have a post about blessings without a plug for this guy (though he does look high in this picture!). He is really the greatest husband in the world! The other night I had a migraine. Without being asked, Jake offered to pick up pizza so I wouldn't have to cook, then did the dishes, wiped the counters and took out the trash. He's amazing. Not to mention, hot. . .

5 comments:

dishes and laundry said...

I love a good, positive spin. And you can reread this post when you have rough days again. Great pictures - love that happy smile.

Emily said...

I'm so proud of you! He looks so happy!

Unknown said...

what a great post!

Daron said...

I liked your angry post way more.

Jen-ben said...

Ah Dalin, he's so dang cute! I loved this post!