Seven years ago this month, Jake and I had our first official date. We'd technically "been introduced" almost a year before when I appeared on a video his family was sending him on his mission. I was best friends and college roommates with Jake's sister Jenni at the time, and we were visiting her family when they were making the video. Jake claims I "put out the vibe" (Dumb and Dumber style) on the video and that's why he remembered me, but I would never do something like that in front of a missionary! It was after this and many visits with Jake's family, while Jake was on his mission, that Jake's family decided he should marry me when he got home.
We officially met a week after he got home from his mission, when I got home from study abroad in Europe. But, Jake being Jake, had to make his own decision, not just marry whoever his family picked out, and wouldn't even ask me out on a date. I admit, I had a crush on Jake from the moment I met him, but I could never tell him that. But Jake couldn't resist my winning personality, and when his sister got married later that summer, Jake replaced her as my best friend (but not my roommate!). We spent the next 6 months as "just friends", hanging out together almost every single day. I dated one of his friends, and he dated a bunch of really stupid girls, including a silly 18 year old. Why did he date her when he had a mature, world- traveled 20 year old like me at his fingertips, I wondered?? I still don't know.
Jake finally came to his senses and asked me out for our first date November 1. Jake later confessed to me that he used to compare all the other girls he met/ dated to me, and would think, "Amber will make a great wife for someone someday." It only took him six months to realize he should be that someone, and I should be his great wife! Five months later we were married!Every Thanksgiving, I remember this November as the happiest of my life, and I'm grateful that an amazing man chose me to be his wife. And that, my friends, is the story of how Jake and I met!
And he's off - Ugh
4 months ago





5 comments:
Perfect Story!
Very cute!
i loved this story! so cute. :) and your hair used to be really long! oh my! :) i agree with putting more of "you" in your blogs. :) can't wait to read more!
my sis must be that silly 18 year old ;) did you see the family photos? i thought you guys looked so great. happy holidays to you!
Yep, Val, that would be your sister! And Jake told me he thought about dating you when he got home from his mission- lucky for me you were already married :)
Post a Comment