We're doing a lot of "learning" at our house right now.
Dallin is learning how to have a little sister. He's learning how to share his mommy's attention. He's learning to be the "big boy" which means having to be more independent and doing a lot of things on his own. He is struggling with the adjustment a little bit, but for the most part is a great kid and a good big brother.
Abbie is learning how to be alive! She's mastered eating and sleeping, and now is working on falling to sleep by herself and sleeping in her own bed. She's also learning how to move and control her body, and she is so cute and fun to watch!
I'm learning how to function on less sleep, interrupted sleep, and sometimes no sleep- fortunately not at night, but sometimes I don't get a nap :( I moved Abbie into her own room a few nights ago, and it was the best decision I've made since she was born! Now she only wakes me up twice a night to nurse her, then I go right back to sleep. No more waking up to every cough/ grunt/ wimper/ little noise!
I'm also learning to accept that my house can't be clean all the time! Dallin actively makes messes that can't be cleaned up immediately any more. I don't have the energy to clean constantly, and cleaning is difficult with a baby in one arm! I really struggled at first when the house wasn't perfect. But it's gotten easier to just let those unimportant chores go for a while. I've really taken to heart Elder Ballard's conference talk to young mothers. I've tried to enjoy my children and spending time with them more. He quotes author Anna Quindlen who said, "I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less.” So now when I have any time to spare, even if it's just 5 minutes, I'll ask Dallin, "can I play with you?" And he's never told me no!
And most of all, I'm learning how much LOVE children bring into our home! Instead of detracting from the relationships I have with Dallin and Jake, having another baby has enhanced them. Abbie is such a sweet spirit in our home, and even though I'm struggling in the newness of having two kids, I truly am finding joy in my role!






2 comments:
Beautifully spoken!
Very sweet blog, thanks for sharing. :-)
Post a Comment