Friday, May 30, 2008

It's Nice to be Important

A few weeks ago I was reading a friend of a friend's blog (you know you do it, too!) and I read her mother's day post. One of the things she said she was grateful for was that her kids were constantly asking for her because it made her feel important. I thought, why don't I feel like that? Why don't I think I'm important when Dallin asks "mommy, can I do this?" "mommy, will you help me with this?" "mommy, can I have this?" and instead a lot of the time I think, "can't you leave me alone for just ONE minute?" And then I wondered, why can't I feel like that? Can't I change my way of thinking? I should feel important and loved that this special little person wants my attention and approval all of the time! He wants me to play with him because he LIKES me and he thinks I'm cool! I admit, thinking like this has not come naturally, and I don't automatically think, yes! he needs me again! But I know there will come a time, in just a few short years, when he WON'T want my attention, he WON'T want to spend time with me, and he WON'T care what I think! So I will try to enjoy a few of these dependent moments just a little bit more for now.

4 comments:

Jen-ben said...

That's SO true and SO easy to forget. Thanks so much for the reminder!

Em H said...

I was just thinking a similar thing about Jayden. Lately he'll stop playing with his toys, start crying, and crawl over to climb on my lap. He just needs a kiss and then I can set him down to play again. I need to remember that it's really cute, and not think "You're crying again?!" Thanks for the reminder!

Liz said...

That's a wonderful and positive way to think about it. :-)

I don't know if I've told you, but I love all the pictures on your page. Where did you get your template?

Sarah's running a fever, but if it passes, which I think it will we're still going to the zoo on Friday and if not Friday than Monday. I'd like to be there by abot 10am so we can be there before it gets hot, eat lunch and be home in time for afternoon lunches. Let me know what you think. Sarah is so excited to go I can't put it off too long.

Krystal said...

Amber, you're a dang jerk! I always cry when I look at your blog and you have posts like this, which I think are awesome, you've got a way with words. Maybe it's because I'm always feeling fragile when I'm looking at blogs and looking to recharge, I don't know. I wish I could write the way you do, it's a great talent. I find myself thinking about what I think would be a poignant post and then never find the time. Oh well, I'll just keep on reading yours and thinking to myself that there must be a little of that in me since we're sisters.