Saturday, May 8, 2010

Cheaper than Prozac

I've never considered myself a runner. I like running short distances, but I've never wanted to do a marathon or anything. So when my friend Marisa asked me to join her team for the Ragnar Wasatch Back, a 190-mile relay from Logan to Park City, I didn't say yes right away. Luckily Marisa put me on the team roster anyway, because the spots filled up quick, and once I was on the team I decided it was an opportunity I didn't want to miss. There are twelve women on our team, and we'll have two vans that leap frog each other all day and all night till we finish the race. I've been told it's like an all-night girls night out, and I hope the race lives up to it!

We got our run assignments last week, and I'll be running three legs, totally 18 miles. 15 miles of that is hills, which the race website describes as "knee-jarring descents and difficult uphill roads"! Think I'm crazy yet?

Turns out, the running has actually made me LESS crazy. I can honestly say that I love running! I love being outside, getting a little vitamin D therapy. I love pushing myself to run further and faster. I sleep better at night when I run, and I seem to have more energy during the day. I've been training since February, and ran my longest distance today- 9 miles, with hills! I ran 18 miles this week. The "me" time has been very therapeutic. Not to mention losing a little junk in the trunk! I feel great. So to my running shoes I say thanks for the therapy, and the Wasatch Back better watch out!

3 comments:

Emily said...

You are amazing! My sister did this race a few years ago. She loved it. I just cannot get on the running bandwagon. But everyone I know who does it absolutely craves it. Maybe I should give it another chance. Good luck!

Liz said...

Good job!!! That will be quite the accomplishment when it's over.

Em H said...

How did your race in Heber this last week go?