I successfully completed my second triathlon last weekend, and Jake completed his first! I improved my time last year by almost 15 minutes! (It was a different location and the course was a little easier, but faster is faster right?!) I finished 8th in my age group, and I was 2nd out of the water on the swim. That was actually a bit disheartening this year, because though I'm a fast swimmer, I'm not a fast biker. So getting done first on the swim just means I get passed a ton on the bike! I got passed less on the run, but some girl passed me literally at the finish- her foot passed mine going over the finish line, and her time was one second faster that mine!
I know you're all wondering who was first, Jake or me? Jake and I saw each other a couple of times during the race, and he finished before me. But he started before me, and I had a faster time! My total time was 1:30.55.


My race wasn't without some bumps. Here are a few things I DON'T recommend:
- Forgetting to switch the alarm from "weekend/ off" to "on" and waking up LATE because of nerves. Jake and I woke up when it was time to leave, and spent the morning racing around to get ready.
- Leaving your timing chips in the car, which is parked 3 miles away from the starting point. These are anklets that track your time, are required during the race, and $95 a piece if you don't turn them in after the race. We were lucky that we were able to get replacement chips during the race and mail our originals back in.
- Renting a bike that is too big. This forces all your weight forward on the two inch seat, so you're basically riding on your private area. Quite painful!
My friend Nora, who raced with me again. We sported our tri shirts for our "after-party."





4 comments:
Congratulations!! It sounds like both you and Nora improved so much, and great job on 8th place--so impressive. Some day I will learn to swim then I can join you.
Way to go Amber! It's awesome that you got to do something for you. I probably won't ever join you though :)
You rock!
You are amazing!!! I've been checking every couple days for you to post about your triathlon. 15 minutes, WOW! Who cares if the course is easier, that is a great time. (not to mention the fact that you beat your athletic husband. ;-) Great job!
Post a Comment