Sunday, June 21, 2009

"You're not going to BELIEVE what happened."

Last Saturday we went swimming as a family, one of our favorite activities. It's no secret that I love to swim, and my kids are definitely water babies, especially Dallin. Because of the incessant rain, we had to go to the indoor pool instead of the outdoor. Will it ever be summer?

After a few hours, Abbie and Jake were done swimming, but Dallin wanted to stay longer. So I sent Jake and Abbie to the store to buy a new ink cartridge will Dallin and I kept swimming. Jake and I had both forgotten our cell phones because we were "just going swimming" and not going to be apart. So we devised an old-fashioned way to meet without the convenience of instantaneous communication: when Jake was done at the store, he was supposed to come back to the pool to pick Dallin and me up, where we'd be waiting outside. Dallin and I finished our swim, then were outside at the appointed time.

We waited for Jake to come back. And waited. And waited some more. Over 30 minutes passed. "Where IS he?" I thought. "He only had to get one thing. What's taking him so long?" We waited some more, and I was starting to get a little angry. We went back inside and I tried to call Jake from the public phone, which only worked on speaker. He didn't answer. "At least he didn't go home," I told Dallin. We waited some more. Finally, I was so frustrated Dallin and I started walking home. That's when we saw Jake drive up.

"You're not going to believe what happened," he greeted me. My anger instantly melted. Turns out they had bought the one item at Walmart quickly, then headed back to the car. Abbie was carrying the keys as they walked back to the car, and Jake let her keep them after he put her in her seat (what was he thinking?!) As soon as Jake closed her door, she locked herself in, with the keys in with her! Amazingly, Jake didn't freak out (I know I would have). He tried to get Abbie to unlock the car for 10 minutes before going back inside to call for help. What a stupid time to not have a cell phone! Jake was still so calm that he waited in line at customer service to call the police department! The firemen were there within a few seconds, since there's a station literally across the street. Jake was relieved that they were really nice and didn't condemn his as a bad father for locking his kid in the car. A few minutes later, the doors were opened, and Abbie was perfectly fine! I'm so glad it wasn't hot that day while Abbie was stuck in the car.

Have you ever done something like this?

6 comments:

Krystal said...

Man, that is Crazy! Ryan did that once while we were in our carport at home and all I had to do was go inside and get our extra key. It was then I realized that letting my kids play with those keys, even just while I walk to my door is NOT a good idea.

Jen-ben said...

ok, i totally would have FREAKED!! I haven't done that with keys yet...I just loooose them!

Jackie said...

I actually locked myself out of the house once when Logan was inside asleep. He was only a few months old I think. I was panicking not knowing what to do. I ended up stacking up a bunch of stuff that was in the yard to stand on and crawled through the tiny bathroom window- the only one that was open. Luckily he slept through the entire thing!

Liz said...

Kids are so smart. Good for Jake for remaining so calm. I would ahve freaked as well. :-)

Emily said...

When Austin was a baby, I locked him in the car. He was only a few months old, and I was working. I got to work, got out, and pushed the "lock" button. In this particular car, when you pushed the lock button on the driver's door, it locked all the doors but gave you about 30 seconds before doing so. It beeped three times to warn you. No problem. I'd done this a million times. However, I had to grab some bags out of the trunk first. Afterward, I went to open the back door to grab Austin and his carrier, only to realize that the doors were locked and I had tossed my keys on the front seat when I opened the trunk. I went inside, called Greg who wasn't at work, so I called my Dad who had an extra key. He came and rescued us but lectured me the entire time about how I was a mother now and I had to be more focused and less scatterbrained. Nothing like a good, old-fashioned scolding when you are 25 years old.

Austin slept through the entire drama.

Colette said...

I would have been freaking out!! What a calm dad!!