Thursday, April 23, 2009

Rinse and Repeat

On Sunday Jake and I had a few quiet moments to ourselves, and I was telling him all the things I thought had gone well that day, and the things I'd done right with the kids (the sunshine must be going to my head; usually I'm really hard on myself). After I finished talking, he said, "Rinse and repeat."

How true! So many of the things I do are exactly the same as what I did last week, yesterday, or 10 seconds ago, in the case of cleaning up after and feeding my kids. As soon as I finish something like dishes or laundry, there's another load waiting to be done. I also repeat myself constantly, as any of you with toddlers will understand. But at the same time, there are always changes and new things in our lives. Here are a few of the non-monotonous things that have been going on:

  • Abbie can walk! Big emphasis on can; she can cruise around the house pretty well, but she's still cautious, and as soon as she falls down or starts to fall she just starts crawling.
  • The kids got cute new clothes for Easter:
Baby-licious in her cute dress made by Grammy

Dallin in his pimp vest, being tortured by a cruel mother making him pose for pictures when there are candy-filled eggs to be found!

  • Dallin doesn't take naps any more. I know, I know, you're all shocked that I'm still alive! I fought for a while to get him to keep taking a nap, and I even tried laying down with him in his bed at nap time once. He lay there with me for about 5 seconds, then ran to the door and said, "Ok, I'll tell you when your minutes are up!" before closing the door and running away. I was hoping he'd forget about me and go play, but he came back just a few minutes later! Since then, I've just let him stay up but play quietly by himself so Abbie and I can rest.
  • Dallin got a new bike. Loved it the first day, now terrified to ride it and asks to ride his old three wheel bike every day.
  • I'm getting Lasik next week! I had it done about 2 years ago, so I guess this isn't really new. My right eye didn't ever get down to 20/20, but I found out I was pregnant with Abbie the week after my surgery. I've had to wait till I wasn't pregnant or nursing before I could have my eyes "touched up", so I really looking forward to this!

3 comments:

Em H said...

I feel ya... Motherhood can be extremely monotonous. Thanks for pointing out the positive fun changes!

Unknown said...

Sweet ride Dallin, you will have to bring him and his bike over to ride bikes with Mason.

wren photography said...

I would LOOVEE to make a dress for Abby!! I have so much of that fabric I don't know what to do with it! I'm guessing she's about the same size as Bay, but let me know her chest measurement just to be safe.
xoxo!