WE DID IT!!! The Jordanelle triathlon was yesterday, and I am proud to say that Marisa, Nora, Veronica and I all did it! And we all finished in under 2 hours!!
I WAS feeling nervous right before we started. There were so many people there (almost 800 athletes) and even though we'd practiced the course the week before, I still didn't know exactly what to expect. But before I knew it, it was time to start! The swim was amazing! It was a little crazy to start with so many people right on top of each other, but I concentrated on my stroke and tried to find my own rhythm. We swam .75 k, and I was the fourth woman out of the water! The men started before us, and I hadn't realized I'd passed all the other women! I was still surrounded by swimmers, and I thought I was just keeping up with everybody else! That really got me pumped up for the rest of the race. Biking was next. The 20 k course was so pretty and I was faster than I ever had been on a bike! Other racers kept complimenting me on doing so well on "that bike"- I had a mountain bike rather than a road bike. I couldn't help smiling at myself! Then came the 5 k run. When I got off my bike, my legs didn't feel like they belonged to me, and it felt like I was running on marshmallows. I was mentally coaching myself to make it through the run to the end, when Jake ran out of the spectator's section and started running with me! He had decided to help pace me through the finish. It was really fun to run with him since Marisa, Nora, Veronica and I were a little spread out by this time. And I'm happy to report that Jake was tired after running with me! :)
My final time was 1:43.10. Marisa finished exactly 2 minutes before me, Veronica was about a minute and a half behind me, and Nora came in about 10 minutes later. I was on cloud nine! I'm so proud of myself for training for and finishing this accomplishment! I'm totally hooked, and planning to do another triathlon next year (Marisa and Nora, are you in?). The only regret that I have is that in my excitement, I forgot to tell Jake the camera was in the diaper bag, so we have NO PICTURES of me! My dad and my mother-in-law took some pics that I'll have to track down, and Marisa's husband video taped the whole thing. Here's the video Marisa put together- just imagine me coming out of the water ahead of her, and finishing the bike and run just after her! :) You can see Jake and me starting the run.
Jordanelle Triathlon 2008
Dallin loved watching the triathlon so much he decided he was ready to try one. He practiced in the bathtub:







14 comments:
congrats Amber.. .. I just may try it next year...
Wow! A big congratulations! It sounds amazing, and what a great, supportive husband. You are incredible!
That is so amazing that you did a triathlon. I can't even image doing that. I really need to get my bum in gear to catch up with all of the ladies in the ward! Congratulations!
You're awesome!! Good job!
Way to go!
Congrats! So do you have a link to the training program you used?
So COOL!!!! Seriously, 4th woman out of the water??? You are Phelps to me, LOL.
And on a mountain bike - wow! Congrats!!!!
Daron- here's the link to the training schedule we started using.
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=261&printer=1 We modified it ALOT to meet our schedules!
Amber, you are so awesome! In Marisa's video on her blog you are running pretty fast even after all the swimming and bike riding. I am totally going to do it next year if you are in!
When are you going swimming next? I need you to teach me some swimming lessons...
Amber that is so awesome that you guys did it. I can't get over what a great husband you have for running at the end with you, that is so cute. I love the picture of your future triathlete!!
Congrats again, it was actually me commenting with Daron's ID. I think I'll do this triathlon with you next year if you do it, and if you want you can do the Salem Spring Triathlon with me next June.
That is so awesome, congratulations! Are you ready to run a 5k with me next week? j/k Great job!
You are so awesome for doing it! You go!
You guys did such a fantastic job! It was so fun to be there and cheer you on. Congratulations!
Post a Comment