Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Bike


With the increase in gas prices this summer, Jake has been threatening to sell his car and buy a bike. We decided to be a little less extreme and keep the car, in case it snows this winter and Jake can't bike to work. ;) But we did buy a bike! Jake has ridden it to work twice in the week since we got it. It's a 20 mile round trip, all down hill to work, all up hill home!! Very impressive!

We also decided to buy one nice bike and share for now, so that's what I'll be riding in my triathlon next week. I have to admit, I'm very glad Jake talked me into getting an expensive bike, because it's been worth it in my training. On Thursday, I decided to kill two birds with one stone and bike to do errands that morning. I felt so proud of myself- saving on gas, doing something good for the environment, and getting my exercise all at once. I felt downright hippie biking to the bank next to a bunch of gas-guzzling SUV's. Until my chain came off. Then I felt like crying and calling Jake to come pick me up in our SUV. But I mustered my self-control and all of my mechanical skills, and fixed the chain myself! The rest of the trip was pretty uneventful, with the exception of fearing for my life a couple of times when cars didn't see me and pulled out in front of me. But I made it home in one piece!

Then this morning, Marisa, Nora, and my sister Veronica and I went to Jordanelle for a triathlon practice run. We did the full thing- 1/2 mile open water swim, 13 mile bike ride, and then a 3 mile run. Swimming in open water with zero visibility and no lane lines was a bit scary at first, but I quickly got used to it, and was glad we experienced the open water swim before the race. Even with my nice bike, the uphill part of the bike leg really kicked my butt! But I did it, and even had enough energy left to finish the running leg strong. Next Saturday is the big day!!!

1 comment:

dishes and laundry said...

Nice bike!!!

Having mechanical problems is one of my biggest fears. I'm very impressed that you were able to take care of it on your own - way to go. Riding in traffic can be very scary...stay safe.

Good luck at the triathalon - you'll do great. Girl Power!!!!!!