Sunday, August 22, 2010

Family Epidemic

The day after Jake and I got home from Youth Conference, we unpacked/ repacked and headed up to Snowbird for my family reunion. I'm not much of a fan of the "sweltering-in-the-park-smiling-at-people-I-barely-recognize" family reunion, but I REALLY look forward to this family reunion every other year. It's for my mom's side of the family, and all my aunts, uncles and cousins come from literally around the globe. This year promised to be just as fun as years passed. I wish I could write about all the fun we had at Snowbird, and we did have fun,

going to the top of the mountain

riding the tram


and riding the bull

But that's not the whole story. Dallin complained of a stomach ache l late in the afternoon, but I blamed it on a long day in the sun without much lunch, and did what any sensible mother would: I forced him to eat a big dinner. We were in our hotel room later, and he wanted to lay down. He promptly fell asleep, in his clothes, mid-sentence. Luckily, Jake and I are exemplary parents, and DIDN'T leave Dallin asleep alone in his room and go upstairs to my brothers room, with only the monitor under the impression it would work that far. Lucky for us again, Dallin didn't wake up later, sick at both ends, and LEAVE the room since we weren't there! We would never let him wonder the halls with two sympathetic young girl strangers looking for us! Where is my Mother of the Year award??


The good decisions didn't stop there. The following morning Dallin was doing much better, so we decided to stay at the reunion, and try to pass around the germs so everyone could enjoy it. It turned out that at least two people from every family got very sick- including my cousin who was going through the temple for the first time, and my aunt who got sick while getting on the plane to go home and ended up at the hospital hooked up to an IV! You're welcome, everyone. I'm sure it's a reunion we'll NEVER forget!

2 comments:

Em H said...

I'm just glad we didn't share a room!

Emily said...

We passed the same nastiness around our Family Reunion this year. Somehow...miraculously...Paige and I were the only ones in the family that managed to escape the virus. It was a pretty nasty one! Poor Dallin!

And don't worry - You ARE Aweome parents (and don't let anyone ever say any differently)!!!