Sunday, August 23, 2009

Ten kids, three mamas, and a cabin

In June when Jake told me that Discover would be sending him to London to work for a few weeks, the first words out of my mouth were, "I'm coming, too!" I love London, ever since my study abroad in Wales my sophomore year at the U. And I thought this would be the perfect, practically free "get-away" for Jake and me. I wouldn't even mind if he worked alot- I knew my way around London, could speak the language, and would be perfectly satisfied to be a tourist by myself.

But little annoyances kept creeping up. It turned out Jake would be staying about 45 minutes outside of London- not ideal for me "touristing" on my own. He'd probably be working 10-12 hours a day. He'd be gone for 3 weeks- how could I leave my kids that long?! And flights were expensive!

So I decided to go on vacation while Jake was gone, and since I'd have the kids by myself, that left only one destination- my friend Nora's cabin. Nestled in beautiful Kamas, it's the ideal "camping" trip- beautiful mountain scenery, separate bedrooms for the kids! Nora and her four kids came, and it just wouldn't be a party without Marisa, so she came with her four kids, 3 week old baby and all! A total of ten kids! Sound crazy?

It wasn't. It was an absolute blast. The kids played non-stop with very few fights, went on "nature" walks around the property, stayed up late, and had a great time. So did the moms- after the kids were in bed we stayed up playing card games. We also took turns planning and cooking the meals, so we all got a break. Unfortunately, Jake took the camera with him to London (he thinks his trip is more picture-worthy) so I couldn't capture the time on film. The trip was still exactly what I needed to keep my kids busy and entertained, and help the time go by fast while Jake's gone! Thanks again, Nora and Marisa, let's do it again soon!

4 comments:

Kevin said...

Sounds like you have pretty good justification to get a second camera. I hereby give you permission to go out and get another one!

Liz said...

I'm glad you had fun. You're a strong woman. :-)

Nora Mair said...

It was so fun! Thanks for coming up and hanging out!

Unknown said...

It was fun, let's do it again.